Today, we made it back to the house. It's been too long since we last worked. I learned how to make it snow it July.... scrape peeling paint. We started in the master bedroom. When we started, I thought this would be a fairly easy task... I was wrong. Apparently, latex paint over oil is quite a pain in the butt. What was already peeling came off easily, but then you have to keep scraping so that you get all of the paint that isn't adhering properly. So after 15 minutes into scraping, I'm covered in paint chips. (Thankfully, Fred and I took necessary precautions and wore masks and goggles)
While I worked on the walls, Fred and his parents bravely took the task of scraping the paint on the windows. There are four windows in the bedroom and they each need to be completely scraped. They did a good job, even as the sun was bearing down on that side of the house and the room heated up like a sauna. (Side note: the AC doesn't really work, so we suffer through the heat with the help of two fans)
Once I completed the walls and ceiling, I moved into another room, so Fred could use the step ladder to take down the valances... yes, we have custom valances for each window. These too will need to be repainted. Blue just doesn't cut it. I think they will be beautiful painted white, the same color that we will paint the trim.
So, after scraping the walls in most of the upstairs rooms, I got sort of restless. I headed back into the master bedroom to start tackling the peeling blue trim. This is a daunting task. It's starting to, what the pro's say, Alligator, where the paint cracks and peels and looks like Alligator skin. It looks like that antique look people pay a lot of money to achieve... except is doesn't look good on the bedroom or closet doors. So we have to scrape and scrape and scrape, and when we're done scraping, we get to sand everything down.
There weren't too many surprises today... just basic scraping. Hopefully, the contractor will start working sometime next week- demo the kitchen!
No comments:
Post a Comment