Thursday, September 8, 2011

Two rooms primed and painted.... eight more to go

How much can we get done in a three-day weekend?  A lot.

Most of Saturday was spent at Lowe's, where we bought the appliances, four ceiling fans, a mailbox and post, a new lock, and lots of other misc items. Let's just say that Lowe's loves us now. After scouring the internet for deals on appliances and reading reviews, we decided on the Frigidaire Gallery series and the Frigidaire Professional series. Due to a great Labor Day sale, we were able to get the appliances we wanted- Stainless Steel. We also went ahead and bought most of the paint and primer we need for the house.

When we finally got to the house, we decided to go ahead and finish cleaning up the yard from the hurricane, so the grass could be cut. Fred continued to get large limbs and I grabbed the smaller stuff. We had to get all the yard debris to the street since pick up was Tuesday (the 6th). They don't give much time. Fred also decided it was a good time to start cleaning out from under the trees of other fallen limbs that have been there a while, since it's "free." We were going to wait to do it but since the city is picking up debris, we figured we should go ahead and get as much done as possible, so we don't have to pay for bulk removal later. A lot of the baby pines were pulled up, but there is still plenty if any one wants some pines or magnolia seedlings. We have plenty to spare, just let us know.

Painted kitchen- color is called Canoe
Sunday... fun day. The day to paint. Since the tile is being put down this week, we want as much paint up as possible in the rooms needing tile. Fred and his dad started cleaning up in the kitchen. They pulled the rest of the linoleum floor up and took apart the refrigerator that was already at the house and put it in the basement. This gave an open room, with no obstacles. My mom and her friend came to help us and we promptly put paint brushes in their hands. My mom primed the trim in the stairwell, while her friend worked on painting the ceiling in the kitchen. I was busy in the pink bathroom, scraping and sanding. I was determined to get that room primed that day. Fred worked on scraping the window in the bathroom and while I wanted on him, I primed more door frames in the kitchen... there are five door frames that connect to the kitchen.  Once Fred was finished, I went to town priming the bathroom. Finally, some of the pink would be gone! We still have the pink tile, but it felt so good covering up the pink trim. Of course I ended up wearing as much paint as I got on the wall. Fred's dad is far more patient and steady than I am, so he painted all the trim to the windows in the kitchen and bathroom, making them look almost new! Sunday was a very late night trying to get stuff done, but ended up being very productive... the kitchen and bathroom were ready for paint.

Labor Day was certainly that.... a day of hard labor. The day had finally arrived that we could get some color on the walls. While Fred and his dad started painting in the kitchen, I went and painted the trim in the bathroom. I think I may need a second coat to hide the pink. The primer and one coat may not be enough. A little pink keeps coming through :-/ But, it is a big improvement. When I got to the kitchen, the wall painting was under way and looking good. I really like the color. At first I was afraid it was too dark, but I think the light-colored cabinets will brighten it up. I worked on painting the trim on the door frames I had primed the day before. Finally, the kitchen is primed, painted and trimed, and ready for tile!!

Design/layout

We didn't get many pictures cause we forgot the camera, but I snapped a couple with my phone. The latest is that the subfloor in the kitchen has to be replaced before they can tile, but tile is still supposed to start this week. The cabinets are ready and should be installed next week, so, I think we can reveal the design and hope that nothing happens....

Design/layout
Fred and his dad also put up the mailbox and post and then continued to clean up in the yard, cutting dead limbs and cleaning up debris. It's finally starting to look like a kept yard- sort of. I stayed busy working on the other bathroom, scraping the trim and walls. There's still a lot to do in that bathroom, but hopefully it won't take too long. It was a very productive three-day weekend, although I think I need a week to really make a dent in the to-do list and then another week to recover.
Design/layout

No comments:

Post a Comment