Saturday, October 22, 2011

We're still trucking....

What a crazy few weeks. We've had all sorts of things going on.... and so has the house.

The kitchen still isn't complete cause we're still waiting for the electrician to come finish his stuff. All that's left is getting the stove and disposal wired and hooked up. I can't wait until the stove isn't in the middle of the room anymore. Then it might look like a real kitchen! We got the refrigerator hooked up... but that is not without its own issue. So we went to the house on Sunday and opened to the door to a pool of water in the kitchen. Apparently, the plumber used one of the plastic water hookups for the ice maker and when the refrigerator was put in place the hose was kinked and the plastic cracked, sending water everywhere for three days! We got it cleaned up and tried to find the metal one we had bought when we order the appliances. Couldn't find it anywhere, so Fred went and bought a new one. We got that hooked up. One issue solved. Now the freezer had lots of water in it that froze up. We're thinking it's from the hook up but aren't sure. And now the refrigerator beeps saying the door isn't closed all the way when we know it is..... so we may have to get a repairman to fix the refrigerator, or return it. UGH!

We did manage to get the upstairs bathroom painted. We opted for yellow (Beeswax) and white. I like it a lot. Sunday, Fred's dad and I were hard at work painting, when he stepped off the ladder and into the yellow paint can..... it went EVERYWHERE! A nearly full can of yellow paint. Thankfully, we had a drop cloth down that got most of it. After trying to clean that up enough to move it, we got the drop cloth out and realized the yellow seeped through to the white tile floor! I've never run so fast in my life to get a wet towel. I grabbed the towels we had used to sop up the water in the kitchen (I knew they'd be handy) and started scrubbing the tile floor before the yellow paint dried. I managed to get it all up.... I blame myself really. I had made a comment about an hour prior that I didn't think we needed a whole gallon of yellow for the bathroom.... well, we didn't and managed to only get about a third of a gallon to use... but it was enough.

We got two of the upstairs bedrooms and the hallway papered to protect the floors, which is my number 1 priority. That took forever cause we needed to clean the floors and then tape the paper down, but it'll be worth it if it keeps the floors from being any more scratched up. I also got the bathroom door and shelves painted and they are ready to be put back. I'm very excited about the the bathroom door being reinstalled!

Fred opening window
Fred and his dad and a family friend worked hard on more windows and managed to get three of them open, top and bottom! Only 23 more to go. It's great, but an issue since we told the guys who painted the outside trim, that they needed to get the windows open before they painted. Well that didn't happen and they further painted the windows shut. So now that we've gotten some of the windows open, the outside trim needs to be touched up. It ticks me off that now there are more steps to be done. They should've just gotten the windows open like they were supposed to before painting... but I'm learning that it's hard to find good help. I'll let the contractor deal with them.They really don't want me to confront them.

I'm realizing that the deeper we get into the house, the more my stress level rises. We still have random electrical issues. The electrician seems to think that there's a short in one of the wires to the outside lights that when used triggers the breaker and shuts off the downstairs lights. So we taped off the switches to the outside lights until we can figure out where the short is. Well, that may not the the only issue. Fred went to the house after it rained the other day and the basement light tripped again. So now we think that there's a short related to the moisture in the basement. As a friend of mine so eloquently says, "Oy vey!"

But we're trucking on. Fred's dad has started stripping trim in the master and we'll move onto that room and keep going. I have days that I want to throw my hands up and quit, and then I have days that I just want to sit there and cry. Everyone keeps telling me it will be worth it when we're done. Lord, I hope so. I know that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, and I'm trying to hold onto that so I don't pull out my hair.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there lady....it sounds like this house is a character builder. I understand fully, our house is 111 yrs old. It is still full of surprises!! Just take one step at a time, and remember the two main old house rules: #1 is don't sweat the small stuff; #2 is that it is ALL REALLY small stuff!

    ReplyDelete