 |
| Upstairs hall primed |
As the holidays approach, (and I must say, they're coming faster than I'm ready for) we're trying to increase speed in our productivity in hopes of completing the house by Christmas. Fred thinks we can finish and be moved in by Christmas... I'm more realistic and think it'll be at least mid-January. I hope he proves me wrong.
 |
| Small guest room primed |
 |
| Fireplace scraped. How may colors do you see? |
We're almost done with the upstairs. The smaller guest room (the "nursery" for those who know the references. And no that is not a declaration of pregnancy, but what the room WILL be when we are blessed.) and the upstairs hall have been primed. The windows work and they have been primed as well. So, now we've moved on to the guest room. It's quite a large room and it has been our makeshift command center, so cleaning it out took some effort. But we got it cleared and I cleaned and papered it. We scraped and sanded and realized that some of the plaster is cracked and is coming off. So Fred started peeling it off and half the plaster on the wall came down :-(. So now we need to replaster that section to be able to prime. Other than that, the guest room is ready to go! We also papered all downstairs and started on the living room. I scraped and scraped and scraped the paint off the bookshelves and baseboards. There's still a little bit left to scrape and then I can go crazy with the electric sander! We're getting closer. Three more rooms to go (the foyer, office and dining room).
 |
| Guest room before |
 |
| Guestroom after cleaned |
Hopefully, there won't be anymore hiccups and we'll be able to get things finished quickly. One of the issue we're contending with right now is the water heater. At first, we thought it wasn't working due to a very old timer hooked to the water heater line that turns it off for certain hours of the day. It's a great product for those who don't want the water heater running all day using energy and from what I've seen they're fairly inexpensive. However, this one is old and needs to go.Turns out after bypassing it, that the timer is not the issue. So now we're trying to figure out if it's a bad breaker. Fred and his dad finally got the stove installed and now my kitchen is basically finished! (Some trim still needs to be installed).
 |
| Fred and his dad working on windows |
 |
| Stove is in! |
Fred counted the windows that still need to be opened and he has 1 left. He's proud of the fact that he's gotten the windows functioning after years of them being painted shut. There were layers and layers of paint. Not that we'll open them when we move in because we need screens (and screens don't look right on those kinds of windows) and Fred's allergies keep us from opening the windows as pollen circulates the whole house, which makes him miserable.... but I love the fresh air!
 |
| Medallion |
 |
| "New" Chandelier |
We were also given a gorgeous chandelier and plaster medallion that we'll be putting up in the dining room. Fred's brother and his wife gave it to us... it's from Smithfield Inn. They rescued it when the Inn renovated a couple of years ago. We're so excited because they are just so beautiful and will make the dining room look fantastic! the medallion needs a bit of repair work, but other than a few places, it is in unbelievable shape. We're so blessed to have received such wonderful pieces.
So the holidays are around the corner and we're busting butt to finish. I'm hoping everything is primed before Christmas. I keep hoping that Santa's elves will pop up and finish the house for us.... until then we'll keep the Christmas music blaring and the scrapers and sanders going.
No comments:
Post a Comment