Tuesday, March 27, 2012

We made it!!

Fred and his dad putting the kitchen island together
Two weekends ago, we spent the first night in the house. We hadn't moved any furniture yet, so we slept on an air mattress... I'd like to say it was a wonderful night, but it wasn't. First, there are no curtains up yet in the bedroom, so the street lamp that is right beside the house was shining brightly into the room all night. It was a cold night and I thought a quilt would be enough warmth... it wasn't. Then, the wonderful air mattress started to deflate in the middle of the night. Our first night at the house was a perfect example of how the project has been... Nothing has gone right in our transformation of the house, including our time sleeping there. We have a real bed over there now... that shouldn't deflate.  I'm determined to beat anything the house can throw at me! It was very nice waking up in the morning and being in my home. The coffee maker was set up and we had gone to the store for a few items..... it's coming along.

Dining set
We brought over my beautiful dining set. It's perfect for the dining room. Although, Fred wanted to put all four leaves in to stay, which made our very large dining room look very small.  We took out a leaf and it still had 8 chairs comfortably around it. Now we just need a rug. We had gotten a red one, but that was when we were going to paint the room brown. Now, the red walls and red in the rug clash... that rug will go to the guest room. Now I'm thinking a pretty gold rug to match the gold curtains I want.

We're starting to move boxes and furniture. We still have a lot of packing to do, but there's time. We moved over the guest bedroom set and put up curtains in there. That will give us some conveniences. I have also moved most of the kitchen over. We're slowly making the house a home.  We now have curtains in all of the rooms, making the house look so much better.

This whole process has taught us a lot. Most importantly that if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself. Our contractor was great for the big things, like the kitchen, but when it comes to the details, I don't think as much time would have been put that we put into them. We have put blood, sweat and plenty of tears into this house. It has been completely transformed from a house that no one loved and sat empty for years, to our home that we are so proud to have restored. While, it has been very frustrating at times, I am so pleased with the job we've done and what the house has become. I can't wait for everyone to see it!

There's no way we would have ever been able to finish this house had it not been for  the hard work and dedication of Fred's parents. His dad has been at the house nearly every weekend for the past 8 months. He has taught us new ways to address problems and how to be handy. We are eternally grateful for all of his hard work and will never be able to repay him, although we'll try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment